First off here are the videos from both (saves me doing alot of screenshots)
Now how do we do it.
First of all, we either used STAR Reading or STAR Early Lit tests to a get base line reading level.
Then we converted it over to a level in both Reading atoz and raz-kids. We sent out an note to 1-3rd graders asking if they want to participate. Pull out Title I students(We are all school 1st-3rd) were given a choice of either books sent to their home and or raz-kids. We have 16 mailers this year and 36 raz-kids (some are both)!
What we did to get this up and running last summer is to download ALL (yes 863 of them)then from the master list(found on website excel version) they provided, I used it to make labels for the folders. We downloaded the books, worksheets and discussion questions. Then we put in rubbermaid bins in levels (you can see them in my classroom pics from last year)This year, we have students starting in level B going all the way to S. So having them all ready to copy is so nice. I didn't think so last year with 1 week between school starting and wrapping our part of summer reading. This year we have it down to a semi-science, so we only go in about every 3 weeks. Tomorrow is the last one to mail out!
Then based on the master list, I use the below to keep track what we sent last time (average about 6 per time, so 3 weeks worth) I go down the master list and pick the next six books.
It gets tricky, when they do both raz-kids and mail, as raz doesn't have every book that reading atoz does. So I just went thru the master list and highlighted the ones they do. For the ones on raz we set them an the entire level of their base level. For both we keep in contact via email, and/or notes, asking if they are too easy, too hard or just right. I check in with raz-kids and send messages to the kids, to get going, or good job.
They love getting to decorate their ships. Raz-kids has a feature where the kids can record themselves reading, and this year that has taken off. We require both sets to complete 85% of the program, then we have a pizza party the first week or two back.
I am working on the master list, as I didn't know they update new books on reading atoz all the time. So I downloaded the list in May. Did the assignments, went to pull the files to copy and had six kids missing stories in their level. New stories. So I am trying to Merge old and new, add in the serials we use during the year...But as we all know, if its organized it will be worth it in the end. If you do both and have tips for me, or if you want to know more, labels I have, etc. email me or leave a comment.
Both sites give a 7 day trial to test it out. It is a great resource I highly recommend both. Below are links to the site. Thanks for staying with me!
http://www.learninga-z.com/
(Not paid or associated with the group, just a user)

0 comments:
Post a Comment