Friday, August 12, 2011

September 11th, 10 years


(Bear with me, there is educational links to this post, but as we get closer I want to do this now while I can) I am in a Prek-3rd building. I am going to ask at our staff meeting next week, if or how we are going to handle it.



Tonight on the tv they were asking viewers to log on to their website and tell how their lives had changed since. I worked at the courthouse then, and remember sitting in the different offices watching on tvs people ran home to get. I can tell you that I walked out the courthouse with one of the judges talking and all the sudden we look up up and there is Air Force One with the fighter jets...how could we tell....it was the only airplane allowed in the sky. I learned the 6 degrees of separation was down to 3 by the time it was all over. I had moved back to the family farm a year prior, and was remodeling my parent's old house with my dad and several family members (it is a 1905 farm house and I gutted it) so I was living with my parents next door. My dad worried as all I wanted to do was watch the coverage of it non stop. I was just starting to "deal" with this and then on October 20th, my 54 year old dad died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack here at home. My life as I knew it was over. I, the week prior had been offered a position at my current school. I worked in the juvenile division and was burnt out, murders, child abuse (horrible) you name it that last year it happened. My last words to the then bookkeeper was, "Let me talk to dad and mom and I will talk to you, Monday or Tuesday" I did talk to her in line at my dad's wake. (Small town community...literally as Tim McGraw says a mapdot, a stop sign on a blacktop so everyone knows/or lives by each other)So everyone told me, not to do anything then. It was December before I decided, and I started after Christmas break in January. One of the best decisions I made in the last 10 years!

Back to the educational part. As you know we used books from Reading A to Z for our summer reading and take home books. I found the books below on their website. If you click on them, it doesn't seem to be a need to log in/have an account. I haven't had time to pre read them, but they have lesson plans, worksheets, projectable books etc, again all free. Our open house/book fair is September 8th, and between August 19th it is always crazy busy. So, thanks for letting me share both my story and the resources with you. Please leave me a comment,telling me what your school is planning if anything. Darned if you do, Darned if you don't. Thanks again (and let me know what you think of the stories)

ETA:On one computer it works, another nada, not logged in on either one. Let me know...

Grade 1

Heroes of September 11

Grade 3

September 11: Always Remember

1 comments:

IamNan said...

I was thinking the other day that I needed to do something this year to remember 9-11. Thank you for sharing your story. I clicked on the 3rd grade link and tried to download, but they wanted me to login.